Yesterday we attended the Green Living Conference and Expo in downtown Wilmington NC. It was a fun event with many like-minded people. It is so nice to attend an event where the environment takes center stage! More and more everyone is realizing that everything we do affects the environment in one way or another. Moreover, the things that have a harmful effect on the environment can have a harmful effect on our health. One area that can be improved is in the area of skin care. If the products you are using have a negative effect on the earth, they probably are not the best things you could be putting on your skin.
There are many reasons to go green with you skin care:
- To keep your skin safe. The FDA does not require safety tests before personal care products enter the market. The chemical ingredients listed on the back of your favorite soap may not be healthy for you or the environment.
- To keep the earth clean. Just because something is touted to clean your skin, does not automatically mean it is clean for the earth as well. If you see the ingredients mercury, lead acetate, toluene or petroleum, you might want to consider something that is safer for our rivers, lakes and oceans.
- To support a sustainable economy. Contributing to companies that have products and services that are healthy for you and the environment goes a long way toward bettering the planet and the global economy.
What are some things to look for when trying to keep your skin and the earth safe from dangerous chemicals? Research states that 60% of what you put on your skin gets absorbed into your blood stream. Be on the look out for these in the list of ingredients:
- Parabens – including methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben and butylparaben — might be associated with skin problems like irritations, dermatitis and allergic reactions
- sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS)
- sodium laureth sulfate (SLES)
- artificial fragrances
- phthalates – dibutylphthalate, diethylphthalate, and butyl ester- have been linked to birth defects
- petrochemicals – petroleum-based substances like mineral oil and paraffins – petroleum products not only take hundreds of years to biodegrade, but they might be linked to skin irritation, allergies and cancer. •
- DMDM hydantoin – breaks down to release formaldehyde, which is classified as a probable human carcinogen.
Many natural ingredients can be used to protect, rejuvenate and soothe your skin. They are to numerous to list here, but here are a few examples of ingredients to look for when buying green skin care products.
- Cucumber soothes and reduces inflammation. (Like our California Cool)
- Green and white teas have antioxidant properties that protect the skin from free radicals. (Like our ZenAura)
- Tea tree oil is an antiseptic and provides light hydration; it is great for acne-prone skin. (Like our Misty Mountain)
- Lavender oil evens skin tone and balances moisture levels. (Like our Perfect Peace)
Other Natural Aids: •
- Honey makes a nice hydrating facial mask. (Like our Soothing Solitude)
- Oatmeal is a gentle exfoliant that calms itching (available in our Soothing Solitude and Perfect Peace).
So, as you are looking for ways to “go green”, do not forget your daily cleaning regimen. You can find all the soaps mentioned on our website. Your skin and your earth will thank you.